About the Project
About the Area
- Jane Adams, 'The Concept of "Criminal Lunacy". A case
study of Seacliff Lunatic Asylum, 1882-1912', BA Hons.
- Robert Adin, 'T.K.Sidey, A Good Christian Gentleman:
A Study of Christian Masculinity in New Zealand, BA Hons.
- Charlotte Amodeo, 'The Murder Trial of Senga Florence
Whittingham. An Examination into the Nature of Gender
Relations in the 1950s', BA Hons. thesis, 2001.
- Diana Brown, '"Stepping-stone to cretinism": Goitre
in New Zealand 1920-1950', BA Hons. thesis, 2000.
- Ali Clarke, 'A Godly Rhythm: Keeping the Sabbath in
Otago, 1870-1890', BA Hons. thesis, 1999.
- Amy Crago, 'Emily Siedeberg's Driving Force:
Advancing the Interests of Women', PGDA, 2001.
- Andrea Deuchrass, 'Pushing Past the Confines of
Femininity: Music for Women in Dunedin 1907-1950: A
Vehicle for Agency, Recognition and Social Connections',
BA Hons. thesis, 2001.
- Angela Findlay 'Widening Women's Sphere? Women, Work
and Ideology in the New Zealand Post Office', BA Hons.
- Janette Hart, 'Keeping the Family Together: A Study
on the Persistence of Remarriage as a Survival Mechanism
in New Zealand after Colonial Colonisation', BA Hons.
- Alison Holmes, "The Chinese Are the Same Everywhere":
The Distortion of the Chinese Community in Dunedin,
1880-1920', BA Hons. thesis, 2000.
- Marian Horan, 'The In-dependent Women? Women, Work
and Charitable Aid in Otago 1895 to 1905', BA Hons.
- Penny Isaac, 'Stir, Bustle and Whir! A History of the
New Zealand Clothing Factory 1873-1905 with particular
reference to the labour process', BA Hons. thesis,
- Maryrose Lockerbie, 'The Intergenerational and
Intermarital Occupational Mobility of Men and Women in
the Southern Suburbs of Dunedin, 1881-1937', BA Hons.
- Jodine Lyons, 'The "Grand Magasins" of the South. The
World of Dunedin Department Stores 1890-1960', BA Hons.
- Sarah Neal, 'Well-Intentioned but Ill-Fated: The New
Zealand Government's Repatriation Scheme for World War
One Returned Soldiers, 1915-1930', BA Hons. thesis,
- Kieran O'Connell, '"Be Strong and Show Thyself a
Man"- Christian Masculinities in southern Dunedin,
1885-1925', BA Hons. thesis, 2001.
- Karyn-Maree Piercy, ''Presbyterian Pioneers': The
Deaconess Movement, Dunedin, 1900-1920', BA Hons. thesis,
- Conrad Schumacher, 'Why did so many babies die?
Infant mortality and causes of death in Dunedin,
1900-1920', BA Hons. thesis, 1998;
- Justine Smith, 'Dunedin Manhood: Official Organ of
the Dunedin Y.M.C.A.' The 'Manufacturing' of Christian
Men in Dunedin, 1933-1938', BA Hons. thesis, 1999.
- Katie Tierney, ''Eat for the Glory of God': The
Dietary Reform Movement ca. 1880s-1920s', BA Hons.
- David Turner, 'The Workers' Compensation Act 1900',
BA Hons. thesis, 2000.
- Brooke Whitelaw, ''She-Males in Brown-Stockings':
Women in Higher Education at the University of Otago
1919-1929', BA Hons. thesis, 1999.
- Asma Bashir, 'Skirting the Issues. Women Teachers in
New Zealand during the Inter-war Period', MA thesis,
- Megan Cook, 'Gender and Paid Work in New Zealand,
1950-1972', MA thesis, 2000.
- Maureen Hickey, 'Negotiating Infant Welfare: The
Plunket Society in the Interwar Period', MA thesis,
- Marion Horan,, 'Employing Gender in the New World:
Factory Legislation in New Zealand, 1873-1901', MA
- Penny Isaac,, '"No Room for Luxuries': Aspects of
life in a working-class New Zealand community in the
1930s', MA thesis, 1999;
- Shaun Ryan,, 'Men of Metal: The Amalgamated Society
of Engineers in Dunedin, c. 1874-1923', MA thesis,
- Louise Shaw, 'Prescription for Change: Dispensing
with Men. Women in New Zealand Pharmacy', MA thesis,
- Kirsten Thomlinson, ''We the Undersigned': an
analysis of signatories to the 1893 Suffrage Petition
from Southern Dunedin', MA thesis, 2001.
- Robyn Notman, "A Privileged Life: Dora Hallenstein De
Beer, 1891-1982", MLitt, 1999.
- Shaun Broadley, "Spirited Visions: Spiritualism in
New Zealand", PhD thesis, 2000.
- Warwick Brunton, '"A Choice of Difficulties":
National Mental Health Policy in New Zealand, 1840-1947',
PhD thesis, 2001.
- David Keen, 'Feeding the Lambs. The Influence of
Sunday Schools on the Socialization of Children in Otago
and Southland 1848-1901', PhD thesis, 1999.
- Anna Petersen, '"Signs of Higher Life": A Cultural
History of Domestic Interiors of New Zealand c.
1814-1914', PhD thesis, 1998.
- Patricia Sargison,'"Essentially a Woman's Work": A
History of General Nursing in New Zealand, 1830-1930',
PhD thesis, 2001.
- Catherine Smith, 'The Business of Beauty: A History
of Hairdressers, 1920s-1960s', PhD thesis, 1999.
The St Clair Esplanade, Hocken Library